In addition to the conventional treatments
for cancer there has always been a strong movement toward complementary treatments.
call these other treatments complementary because we believe the patients are best served
when they are used in conjunction with traditional treatments.
Under most circumstances we do not believe that relying on
unproven, untried therapies alone is in the best interest of the cancer patient.
Before beginning any non-conventional or complementary
treatments please talk with your medical team about it. Find out all you can about the
treatment involved and ask questions.
British Columbia Cancer Agency website provides information
and analysis for those interested in the objective assessment of
"unconventional" therapies. The sections include
a good listing of the peer-reviewed literature, and approximate costs of each therapy. www.bccancer.bc.ca
Read our list of questions to ask before
experimental or unproven treatments.
Examples of some alternative or complementary therapies can
- Alternative therapies: Ancient and Contemporary Healing
- the mind-body connection
- eastern approaches to disease
- principles of ayurveda (body types, balance, and better health)
- massage, acupressure, and acupuncture
- art therapy
- music therapy
- visualization and meditation (see stress)
- religion, faith and prayer
- physiologic effects of laughter (see humor)
- Herbal and Hormonal Medicine
- Use of Vitamins and Mineral Supplements, Nutraceuticals and
- Integrative Therapeutics: Combining the Best of Traditional
and Alternative Therapies
Alternative Medicine Links of
Alternative Medicine Homepage
Holistic and Wellness Sites
Explore Alternative Avenues
Health Psychology and
Behavioral Medicine on the Web
Wellness for Body and Soul
For additional information on these subjects search the web
using any of the search engines or directories and use some of the key words above.
[ Home ] [ Specific Cancers ] [ Diagnosis ] [ Treatment ] [ Coping ] [ Disclaimer ][ Surgery ] [ Chemotherapy ] [ Radiation ] [ Medicines ] [ Other ]